The Brunel family’s winemaking history reaches back to the 17th century with the purchase of a vineyard plot to the north of the Châteauneuf-du-Pape appellation from the Bishop of Avignon. Numerous generations followed on, all working in the vineyards, but it was in 1954 that Lucien Brunel created the name “Les Cailloux” or “The Pebble” to promote the Domaine’s wine qualities and special geological characteristic of the large oval stones coving his vineyards.
In 1971, Lucien’s son André Brunel took the reins at Domaine Les Cailloux. His endless motivation and eye for quality resulted in a steady expansion of the family’s vineyards with acquisitions in the Côtes du Rhône and select plots of Vaucluse Vins de Pays. In 1989 he launched the now infamous Cuvée Centenaire and continued to improve the vineyard management practices. André was one of the first in Châteauneuf-du-Pape to use tailored ground cover methods and practice a non-chemical approach to wine-farming. In 2012, André’s son, Fabrice Brunel, joined the team to insure the family’s history and passion would continue.
“Our pursuit for quality, our utmost respect for the land, and the drive to always provide our customers with wines they can enjoy throughout their lives, compels us to be immeasurably meticulous during its production, regardless of its appellation.”